The Kelappaji College of Agricultural Engineering and Technology (KCAET), is the only Agricultural Engineering college in Kerala, situated at Tavanur in Malappuram district.
This college is a constituent institution of Kerala Agricultural University under its faculty of Agricultural Engineering.
This college offers B. Tech., M. Tech. and Ph. D. programmes in disciplines related to Agricultural Engineering and Food Engineering. These programmes are conducted by Kerala Agricultural University and are accredited by ICAR and approved by AICTE.
Kelappaji College of Agricultural Engineering and Technology grew out of the Rural Institute, Tavanur after a few institutional metamorphoses. The history of the college begins with the establishment of a Rural Institute in Tavanur in 1963. It was one of the fourteen Rural Institutes established in India for the education of the rural youth.
In 1975 it was taken over by Kerala Agricultural University as per the provisions of KAU Act 1971 and was re-named as ‘Institute of Agricultural Technology’ (IAT). The IAT continued to offer Diploma courses in two disciplines, namely, Diploma in Agricultural Sciences (D. A. Sc.) and Diploma in Agricultural and Rural Engineering (D. A. R. E). The landmarks in the history of KCAET are:
- On October 2, 1985 IAT was upgraded to a full-fledged professional degree College in Agricultural Engineering and was re-named ‘Kelappaji College of Agricultural Engineering and Technology’.
- The first statutes regarding the Faculty of Agricultural Engineering and Technology were published as Statutes SRO No.1046/86 with reference to G.O.No.313/85/GAD dated. 30-11-1985.
- Classes for the first batch of students admitted to B.Tech. (Ag. Engg.) degree program began on 23, January 1986.
- The post graduate program in Agricultural Engineering, which was started in KAU in 1979 under the Faculty of Agriculture for the degree of M.Sc.(Ag. Engg.), was also shifted to KCAET campus.
The infra-structure necessary for running the undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs was steadily built up since then with financial assistance from the State and Central Governments and ICAR. Several new facilities such as new Academic Building, Hostels, Residential Quarters, Computer Centre, Laboratories, Workshops, Equipment and Sports facilities were added during the last decade.
The College is named after Sri. K. Kelappan (1890-1971), a well-known freedom fighter and social reformer. He was a staunch follower of Gandhiji and the leader of the ‘Sarvodaya Movement’ in Kerala. His dedication to Gandhian principles in word and deed earned him the name ‘Kerala Gandhi’. Tavanur was the centre of Kelappaji’s social activities.
It was in recognition of his services to the rural people that the Government of India established the Rural Institute at Tavanur in 1963 with Kelappaji as its Vice-Chairman. Kelappaji College of Agricultural Engineering and Technology was built up on the foundations of the Rural Institute, Tavanur.
Owing to this historic connections between the two, the College of Agricultural Engineering and Technology at Tavanur was named as ‘Kelappaji College of Agricultural Engineering and Technology, Tavanur’, in honour of SriKelappaji.